TOMATO SOUP (The Paleo Way)
After cooking the left-overs I still had about 5 ripe tomatoes in the fridge. Idea ! Let’s make tomato soup. A bit spicy and massive. 🙂
This recipe follows the Paleo Diet way so it’s healthy and all natural.
This is a perfect food when there’s a cold going around; the chicken bone broth makes it easy on the stomach and it’s very nutritious thanks to all the tomatoes. And don’t skimp on the fresh basil, either; it really adds a flavour that you just can’t get from the dried spice.
- 5 large tomatoes, roughly chopped;
- 1 large white onion, roughly chopped;
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped;
- 3 garlic cloves, minced;
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste;
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth;
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped;
- ¼ cup coconut milk;
- 2 tbsp. cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Add some cooking fat to a large saucepan placed over a medium heat and cook the onion and carrot until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, and chicken broth. Season to taste with and salt and pepper and stir everything together.
- Bring to a boil; then lower the heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Then either use an immersion blender or remove the soup to put it through a food processor until smooth.
E voila…. Your tomato soup is done. Goes very well with home made crackers.